I am 18 years old and I've been with my boyfriend for one year now. What are some creative ideas for us to celebrate our one year anniversary? Background: We are still virgins and will keep that way till marriage. We don't drink, smoke, etc. We are Christians. Need creative ideas quick please!
Dear Wanting Creativity,
Celebrate good times, come on! Many couples want to celebrate milestones and moments in their relationship and your anniversary is one such time. Doing so can plant positive memories, break up your routine, and shine a light on your partner and your shared bond. And there are plenty of ways to do this that don't involve having sex or using substances. So what to do? Boogie on down to the next paragraph for ideas to spice up your celebration!
First and foremost, have you touched base with your boyfriend? What does he have anything in mind? You may want to consider getting him involved: this way, both of you will be invested in the outcome, not to mention the greater number of creative ideas that can come from a little two-way brainstorming. That said — there are an infinite number of ways to celebrate this occasion. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Shop for and cook dinner together. Perhaps you can recreate the first meal you had together or incorporate foods that you both love into one delicious meal.
- Make a picnic and take it to the park or another romantic location.
- Do something daring that neither of you would have the guts to do alone — open-mic night anyone?
- Check out a play, a concert, or visit a museum.
- Take in a romantic view from a skyscraper or on hike to a mountaintop. Bonus points: Plan for it at sunrise or sunset.
- Go on an adventurous day trip: hiking, river rafting, camping, etc.
- Plan an all-night (or all-day!) movie or television show marathon. Stock up on your favorite snacks and foods and enjoy the company!
- Make it a three-part day — one activity that you enjoy, one that they enjoy, and one that you both enjoy together.
Finally, do you plan to exchange gifts? If so, it might be helpful to agree upon a price range to relieve any potential financial pressures. Homemade gifts are always a sweet option — a card made with care, a piece of jewelry, or artwork made by your hand. Another idea to consider is that the first anniversary is considered the "paper" anniversary. Perhaps that’ll spark some creativity — you could write each other a poem and frame it.
Whatever you end up doing, make sure to focus on what that make you both happy.